Just Enough Research
foreword by Kio Stark
Start doing good research faster than you can plan your next pitch.
Select an Option
Good research is about asking more and better questions, and thinking critically about the answers. Done well, it will save your team time and money by reducing unknowns and creating a solid foundation to build the right thing, in the most effective way.
Erika Hall distills her experience into a guidebook of trusted research methods you can implement right away, no matter what size team you're on or budget you're working with. Learn how to discover your competitive advantages, spot your own blind spots and biases, understand and harness your findings, and why you should never, ever hold a focus group. You’ll start doing good research faster than you can plan your next pitch.
What’s New In The Second Edition?
While the mindset and methods of research haven’t changed, our digital climate continues to evolve—from the siren song of Net Promoter Score to the latest social media experiment gone awry. The second edition of Just Enough Research features a brand-new chapter on surveys (chock full of math and centaurs!), as well as updated examples throughout, to continue guiding web professionals on the ethics and effects of research.
n.b. This book is in its second printing; the paperback cover does not have a gatefold.
This book explores:
- Frameworks for designing a thorough research process for your product
- Approaches to gain alignment around shared goals through stakeholder interviews
- How to conduct and build best practices for effective user interviews
- How quickly run affordable tests to clarify big questions
- Essential and methods for gathering and assessing quantitative data