Sustainable Web Design
foreword by Rachel He
Select an Option
The internet may be digital, but it carries a very physical cost. From image files to colors to coding languages to servers, the choices we make in our web work can eat up electricity and spit out carbon—and as the internet grows, so does the cost to the environment.
But there’s hope: small, thoughtful changes in design and development can reduce the damage, while also making the web more resilient in the face of a changing climate. In Sustainable Web Design, Tom Greenwood offers a practical path to faster, more carbon-efficient websites that are not only better for the planet, but better for our users.
This book explores:
- How to measure—and reduce—a website’s environmental impact
- Designing low-carbon design choices around imagery, content, color, and more
- Development processes that optimize for energy efficiency
- Hosting and data transfer costs and considerations
- What you need to sell sustainable practices in your team or organization