Our favorite indie bookstores + yours!
Apr 29, 2022
📚 Indie Bookstore Day is Saturday, April 30th! Celebrate with us by picking up your next read at your favorite independent shop.
Need some inspiration? Check out this list of favorite indie shops from ABA authors, readers, and staff!
- Beth Dunn’s Brewster, MA fave, Brewster Bookstore opened in 1982 with 3,000 books and three customers.
- Lisa Maria Marquis loves “fiercely independent” Porter Square Books in Boston.
- Katel LeDû visits Ida’s Bookshop in Collingswood, NJ (sister shop to Harriett’s Bookshop in Philly), any chance she gets.
- Eva PenzeyMoog frequents her top Chicago bookstore, City Lit Books, where they host unique discussion groups like the Weird & Wonderful and On Earth We’re Briefly Gay book clubs.
- Brittany Clark can’t stay away from her favorite corner bookshop, Left Bank Books, the oldest and largest independently owned bookstore in St. Louis.
- Erika Hall’s San Francisco, CA favorite, Fabulosa Books, specializes in LGBTQ books, plus titles on almost everything from politics to witchcraft.
- Krystal Higgins loves browsing “literary finds for mutated minds” at Atomic Books in the Baltimore, MD area.
- Leslie Zaikis supports Charter Books in Newport, RI, and their mission to cultivate community through access to literature.
And reader favorites include:
- Powerhouse Arena in Brooklyn, NY, offering books, art, and live events
- Strand in New York City, home to “18 miles of books”
- The Vermont Bookshop in Middlebury, VT, beloved since 1949
- bbgb in Richmond, VA, featuring virtual book fairs and books for everyone
- Book Club Bar in New York City, combining wine and books and why aren’t we there right now?
- And a few extra votes for Ida’s and Harriett’s in Philly! 🥨