Jan 13, 2021
At A Book Apart, we publish brief books for people who design, write, and code. With over forty titles (and counting!), we’re continuing to expand our library—and that means we need help!
We’re looking for someone to join our team as a Web Developer. As an ideal candidate, you’re a proactive professional with strong knowledge of ecommerce content management platforms (specifically Shopify), and an ability to translate our business needs into user-friendly functions that allow customers to shop and access our books with ease. As a member of a small team, you’ll succeed if you love collaborating and are willing to jump in, even if you don’t know the answer.
This is a paid, freelance gig estimated to consume in the neighborhood of 10–15 hours a month. Perks include free books and working with a fun, conscientious team. Though based mostly in the eastern US, we are an entirely remote team and you can work from anywhere! However, we do request availability overlap with EST/EDT.
We encourage people of all identities and backgrounds to apply, and are particularly interested in hearing from those who are committed to creating more accessible, inclusive, and equitable tech products.
- Manage and maintain the codebase for our Shopify store, including existing plugins, templates, and data management
- Turn provided designs into coded store templates
- Collaborate with ABA team members to shape customer experiences that focus on accessibility and usability
- Contribute to internal initiatives such as improving our development processes
- Provide reliable LOEs and time estimates for larger projects and work with ABA team to estimate ongoing projects
- Familiarity with Shopify Theme Kit and Github workflows
- Advanced working knowledge of accessible HTML, CSS, JS
- Familiarity with Sketch
To apply, please send us an email at email@example.com and include a link to a portfolio and/or other relevant places we can get to know you online. In your email, please also answer the following brief questions:
What is one of your favorite online stores to shop?
What book did you or are you reading at the moment, and what made you choose it?